Sunday, December 11, 2005

Temptation to let things go awry when they are going well. That is fear's subtle sister, chaos. Chaos let's you avoid risk, avoid things we fear. Love, if it is truly love can help a man overcome this only if his courage holds. I'll never forget an illustration of a man reaching to grasp a pearl from a oyster big enough to devour him. The caption read "risk surrounds everything worth having." In a self-help seminar, one of those organizations that runs a weekend program that is a hybrid between mind-fuck and rebirth, I declared "love and courage." Well, four years later.... that is being realized. I didn't picture it quite like this. I thought it would be easier, without tempting pitfalls. Someone is helping me, and someone is testing and tempting me. The temptors pulling strings, I wonder if you look deeply enough in someone's eyes whether you can see the temptor pulling the puppet strings tight for the right resonance and plucking a melodious discord to lead poor souls astray. Perdition indeed, no great saints or sinners left, merely lives frittered away in quiet boredom passing one moment to the next, where the greatest excitement is just enough chaos to derail hopes you might have had. The sun is coming up and I have a day to live in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home